SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Tripp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:26:22 -1000
You may want to start at http://www.winehq.org, the official site of wine. That will help with some of the configuration of "bottles", of instances of Windoze you are running. Remember, while Wine can run things such as MS Office, it will not run all your games flawlessly, some not at all, because its an "emulated" environment, and since most windows games use DirectX, and Linux used OpenGL, all graphic card routines are being translated in real time, resulting in a huge slow down.

You may also want to check out the Application Database at winehq which lists running, or potentially running, windows applications. http://appdb.winehq.org/

In my opinion, I agree with the fact that SL is a scientific computing platform, as is Linux in general, and Linux was never designed or intented to play games. I use a Mac for my everyday tasks, such as connecting to our cluster, and Macs aren't great for games either. If you absolutely have to play a Windoze game, just run it on a seperate machine. That way you will get a great gaming environment as it was designed to run, not an emulated one that sort of works. I use 3 platforms on a regular basis, there is nothing wrong it that.

My $0.02

- Don