SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Mark Mahabir <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:30:00 +0100
On 22/04/2010 08:44, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Mark Mahabir wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I switched our main fileserver to new hardware running SL 4.8 yesterday.
>>
>> Post the switch my users are finding that the text in the boxes on
>> taskbars at the bottom of their desktop screens no longer truncates
>> but spills over onto that of other boxes, making them extremely hard
>> to decipher (see attached screenshot). All our desktops are SL 4.8 too.
>>
>> Also, I'm only able to select PNGs as desktop wallpaper - JPEG
>> backgrounds just appear as plain white when selected(!)
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before and knows of a fix?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark

It seems I spoke too soon - I'm now completely baffled.

I completely removed an account for one particular user, then recreated
it from scratch. All looked fine until she copied back in the .gconf and
.gconfd subdirectories into her home area from the backup I had made;
When logging in, the blue GNOME box is missing the logo and no desktop
backgrounds can be set unless they are PNG. Also the title in a
minimised firefox window on the taskbar stretches across other open
programs in the taskbar so they become unreadable.

However, simply deleting .g* subdirectories does not remove the issue.

In two other cases after recreating accounts from scratch, one showed no
improvement whatsoever, whereas in the second case the issue disappeared
and then came back later when the user attempted to modify the workspace
switcher.

I even had the users completely rewrite .login and .cshrc files in case
these were screwing something up.

The new server I installed is an 'everything' install SL4.8, and all
worked fine on the old server.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, no matter how off the wall!

Mark