SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Michael Tiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:47:01 -0400
Hello everyone.

I'm running into a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything
very similar or if I'm breaking new ground with it.

I have a system that I just got, it's a Dell PE R710 with the new H700
RAID card. I installed it with SL5.3 (Our current version.) and when
finding that the daemons don't continue to run. Here's a small snippet
from my system log:

Apr 23 12:33:50 xxxxxxxx Server Administrator: Instrumentation Service
EventID: 1001  Server Administrator startup complete
Apr 23 12:33:51 xxxxxxxx dataeng: dsm_sa_eventmgrd shutdown succeeded
Apr 23 12:33:58 xxxxxxxx dataeng: dsm_sa_datamgrd shutdown succeeded
Apr 23 12:33:59 xxxxxxxx instsvcdrv: dell_rbu device driver unloaded

After the start process finishes (first line), the next three lines show
the daemons shutting down. It continues to try to respawn the services
only to have them continue to die.

The start sequence is:
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/srvadmin-service.sh start
[short pause........]
omreport storage vdisk
[a normal output from the omreport about vdisks.]
[another short pause.....]
omreport storage vdisk
[error, can't find any controllers]

It is at this point, you can see the dataeng trying to restart the
dsm_sa daemons over and over again. (Clarification, they start then stop.)

I built a RHEL5.3 system and the tools don't seem to be having a problem.

Before I go digging into it much more I thought I'd ask if anyone else
has had any experience with this problem.

Thanks for everyone's time and use of the forum.

--
   <<  MCT>>    Michael C Tiernan.   xmpp:[log in to unmask]
   MIT - Laboratory for Nuclear Science - http://www.lns.mit.edu