SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Mark Mahabir <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:20:13 +0100
> Mark Mahabir wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I switched our main fileserver to new hardware running SL 4.8 yesterday.
>>
>> Post the switch my users are finding that the text in the boxes on
>> taskbars at the bottom of their desktop screens no longer truncates
>> but spills over onto that of other boxes, making them extremely hard
>> to decipher (see attached screenshot). All our desktops are SL 4.8 too.
>>
>> Also, I'm only able to select PNGs as desktop wallpaper - JPEG
>> backgrounds just appear as plain white when selected(!)
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before and knows of a fix?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Hi Mark,
> I have not seen this, but I'm also a little confused.
> Did you change the main file server and then all of your users are
> having this problem?
> Did you also update your users to SL 4.8 and now they are having this
> problem?
> Is this only happening on the fileserver?

Sorry for any confusion - our fileserver serves out users' home
directories and a /usr/local partition via NFS.

I switched our main fileserver to a new Dell Poweredge R300 running SL
4.8 (the old server ran 4.3) and all users are now seeing this problem.

The desktop machines were already on SL4.8 so it seems something has
happened since the switch, but I can't work out what....

I've tried removing .gnome, gnome2, .gconf etc. in the users' home area
so GNOME recreates them from scratch, but the text overlapping issue is
still there.

Thanks,

Mark