SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:27:45 -0500
On 4/19/2010 8:54, Pablo Cavero wrote:
> What do you need migrate??
>
> The Kernels, and Driver controlers are so close to Red Hat EL5, that the
> step from Centos to SL, will be Clean.
>
> You don't need recompiling the programs or applications, only if you
> have Kernel modules, you need rebuilt this, and this is all.
> The Plataforms are so close, that you may think in this like an update,
> and move your system from your Centos to SL5.4 with out problems.

Do you use the CentOS Plus kernel?  If you do, you will probably have to
attempt to grab the right kernel module packages for the functionality
you use that upstream's kernel doesn't provide.

Beyond kernel modules you most likely won't encounter any problems
migrating.  In my experience the biggest problems one might run into are
a few RPM file conflicts (for example, SL's yum RPM having a different
set of files than CentOS's) and repo mixing issues depending on what
third-party repos you set up.  Now of course yum immediately makes you
aware of the former, and the latter would happen regardless of
distribution.  Any problems SL itself would cause would likely arise
from one the many subtle changes SL makes to its package set [1, 2].

I don't mean to sound like it will be difficult, because most of the
time it really isn't, though I'm curious as to why one would migrate to
SL from CentOS.

[1] http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/5x/features/added
[2] http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/5x/features/changed