SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:38:34 +0100
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Chris Tooley wrote:

> Hello again all, thank you for your replies, it's very helpful!
>
> However, it turns out that the request for me was stated incorrectly, they
> wanted a dual core system, and instead requested a "dual cpu" system. D'oh!
>
> Anyway, the floodgates' open now, I would rather actually go with a core i5
> or i7, but of course one thing is still the same, I need to have SL 5x on it.
>
> I've previously had the Asus P5Q and had to install the NIC driver manually,
> which is a pain in the butt to say the least.
>
> Is there a hardware compatibility list for SL 5.4 out there somewhere? Any
> more suggestions on hardware?

I've had no problems wih recent sl5 on Dell desktops, workstations and
servers (optiplex desktops, precision workstations or poweredge servers).
For the Precision and poweredge Dell offer to sell them with RHEL5 so will
clearly work fine with sl5.

Generally all the big (reputable)  manufacturers will certify that their
(enterprise) machines work with RHEL5.

Occasionally people here buy desktop machines (usually from random
box-shifters) without checking with anyone who knows about sl
compatability and for those we commonly have to install an extra NIC (and
in a few cases not use the onboard SATA ports)...

Usually the onboard NICs do get supported within a couple of releases
though there have been a few exceptions.

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |