SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Julian Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julian Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:03:38 +0200
Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Unfortunately, nfs is not an option. One of my two NAS (the Netgear)
supports nfs, but I found out, that if I bind writing rights to some IPs
of my subnet, it's working with that device.

Unfortunately the kernel, of the other device, does not support nfs.
There's a community-build kernel supporting this, but I do not have
enough confidence in my linux knowledge to change the kernel.

But I am confused what's the difference between mounting a share (via
mount -t ... or editing the fstab) and accessing the share with nautilus
(smb:[log in to unmask])?
I always thought, that cifs is the newer version of smb and that there
aren't many differences.
When I am looking for mounted devices (mount or df) I don't get anything
about the shares, which are accessed via nautilus - so they are not
mounted!?

--
Julian Klein