SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:14:35 -0700
     It doesn't look as if anybody has suggested solutions for your
problem, so here's some information that probably won't help, but might:
     I have a Western Digital ShareSpace NAS which, like your devices, did
not preserve uid/gid on files copied to it under nfs.  But the web
interface for controlling the NAS shows an advanced option permitting root
SSH access.  I didn't see the option in the manual, but it's there, and
maybe it's available on one or both of your devices.  After (temporarily)
enabling SSH and logging onto the NAS as root (then changing the
password), it became clear that it's a computer with a tiny memory and a
puny processor running a small linux operating system to control disk
space with the help of software raid.  In its /etc/exports was a line

/nfs/Public *(rw,all_squash,sync,insecure,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)

Changing the line to

/nfs/Public *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

and doing '/etc/init.d/S80nfsd reload' resulted in preservation of uid/gid
on files copied to it under nfs.

Steven Yellin