SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:12:03 -0700
On 04/14/2010 12:04 PM, Brett Viren wrote:
> Chris Tooley<[log in to unmask]>  writes:
>

>> Of course I'm also searching around already but I was wondering if
>> anyone had any suggestions from which I could start.
>>
> Since it will be a workstation, I would spend some effort to provide a
> quiet system.  Spec quiet fans, lower wattage CPUs, etc.
>
> I've had good luck with:  http://www.aslab.com/
>
> They offer CentOS 5.4 (among others) so getting SL 5.x working is a
> pretty sure bet.
>
> -Brett.

I will second that;  I've purchased a fair number of machines
from ASL and they generally 'just work'.  There support has
also been good whenever I do run into trouble.  It's also a
useful exercise to browse their builds to get an idea of
what kind of hardware works - since they are building linux
boxes, if you build something based on their hardware specs
your essentially guaranteed it will work.  That's something
I've done in the past is put together a parts list from their
systems and bought parts separately to build machines.
-Karl

| Karl A. Misselt                             Office: Steward 254  |
| Steward Observatory                          Phone: 520-626-0196 |
| University of Arizona                          FAX: 520-621-9555 |
| Tucson, AZ 85721-0065                     [log in to unmask] |
| ...it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of  |
| himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? |
|                       -- Thomas Jefferson, 1st Inaugural Address |