SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
julian_klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
julian_klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:20:47 +0200
Hello,

I've some problems mounting some folders, located on NAS-Devices.
One is a old freecom fsg-3, the other one is a newer Netgear Duo.

When I'm mounting the folders into a mountpoint in my user-folder using
fstab, i can open, delete, copy or rename files using nautilus without
any proplems.
But when I open any file with an application - for example with
openoffice writer or another application - i can't save the file without
problems. I have to save it localy, and then I have to paste it with
nautilus. I can't create "working" files at all with an application .
But the "save-copies" witch are made for example by openoffice in my
user-folder (.../.openoffice/...) will be empty files. In the
cifs-folder, the files are created, but are empty (0 Byte) files.
When I open existing files I get an error, that openoffice can't create
the save-copy. When I try to create files with openoffice, the error
message says "General E/A error" (this error-message is translated).

My fstab is like that:
//[IP-Numer-NAS]/[folder]         /home/userfolder]/[folder]
cifs    rw,username=blabla,password=blabla     0 0

On the NAS-devices, uids and gids are different from uids/gids on my
workstation, so using nfs is no option, I think.
When I mount the folders, using the gnome-menu option "Verbindung zu
Server..." everything works fine.
So I think, obviously there is something wrong with my fstab syntax.

Could somebody help me with that?

thx in advance,

Julian