SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2010

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:31:43 +1100
Hi Jon,

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > We are looking at puting drbd into SL5.  I do not think our packaging is
> > ready to go into SL 5.5, but I'd like to have it tested before putting
> > it into contrib, and then we'll see whether we want to put it in SL 5.6.
> >
> > "DRBD is a block device which is designed to build high availability
> > clusters. This is done by mirroring a whole block device via (a
> > dedicated) network. You could see it as a network raid-1."
>
> I know nothing about DRBD but isn't there already another
> implementation of something very similar (NBD, ENBD etc)?

There are other implementations, even Red Hat have their own for the Red Hat
Cluster suite (GNDB), but IMHO drbd is more widely used, more widely tested
and surpasses them with it's feature set and tools.

It's my understanding that drbd will be added to the Linux kernel (if it
hasn't been already).

If you're interested in it's features, development and tools, you can visit
www.drbd.org to find out more.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------