SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2010

From:
Eli Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:49:28 -0700

Hi Connie,

> OK - do you anticipate that it will be some flavor of 2.6.18, or will it
> be a later version?
>
>> 2.6.18 from TUV is really 2.6.18 + a whole bunch of back ported patches
>> from 2.6.18+ .  TUV does not change the "base" number during a release,
>> in this case SL 5.  But that does not mean that alot of patches have not
>> been backported.
>
>> It will have a version of 2.6.18 but in reality it is much , much more.

The main item of concern is that the 'cubic' TCP congestion control
algorithm is broken in the 2.6.18 kernel, and causes reduced network
performance.

In machines that have to run 2.6.18, we have seen much better long-haul
TCP performance using 'htcp' instead of cubic.

Thanks,
		--eli

>> If you run the following command you will get a small idea of what
>> patches are in TUV kernel and thus ours.  You can download the kernel in
>> this alpha and look at those change logs too.  Just add a p to the -q --
>> -qp
>> and a full file name instead of "kernel"
>
>>     rpm -q --changelog kernel
>>     rpm -qp --changelog kernel-2.6.18-194.el5.i686.rpm
>

> (the reason I'm asking has to do with the default TCP congestion control
> algorithms supplied with various kernel versions, and the bugs that they
> do or do not have).
>
>> If you give more detail I will look to see if they have been included.
>> If there is a TUV bugzilla entered then the bugzilla number would be
>> useful.
>
>> -Connie Sieh
>

> Thanks,
>
>         --eli

- --
Eli Dart                                            NOC: (510) 486-7600
ESnet Network Engineering Group                          (800) 333-7638
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
PGP Key fingerprint = C970 F8D3 CFDD 8FFF 5486 343A 2D31 4478 5F82 B2B3