SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2010

From:
Cristina Aiftimiei <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cristina Aiftimiei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:35:06 +0200
Hi,

I'm disturbing you for the some problem that we have on trying to use
"yum update" on macchines that have a jpackage.repo file.
It is described on the thread:
https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2010-April/014006.html

The last reply on the thread says
(https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2010-April/014046.html):
"Hi,

I've got two news regarding this problem. First, if we look into the
/var/cache/yum/jpackage5-generic/repomd.xml file before the 'yum clean
all' and 'yum update' commands, we'll find the following line there:

   <database_version>9</database_version>

After the 'clean all' and 'update', it changes to:

   <database_version>10</database_version>

That's only my observation; I tried to find more details on the
internet, but with no luck.

 >> I don't think you'll have any luck with asking SL for a yum upgrade,
 >> CentOS also has chosen to stay with the same version of yum.

This is the problem: actually the're different. The 'yum' packages in
CentOS 4.8 and Scientific Linux 4.8 are using the same version number
(2.4.3), but they differ. Apart from the obvious configuration stuff
(e.g. cron.d files, /etc/init.d scripts) they differ also in
implementation files: config.py,  depsolve.py, and repos.py. CentOS's
implementation has also one additional file: storagefactory.py. The
result is the update process works on CentOS, but fails miserably in
Scientific Linux. I wasn't able to trace the actual line that causes
the problem. Maybe I'll have to contact the SL developers.

[...]
Peter
"

so the solution ...suggested in  this thread is somhow to "update" the
yum version used in SL 4.7 & 4.8.

Can I ask if this is a feasibile solution?
We have problems with all middleware profiles (gLite) on SL4 that have
dependencies on JPackage :-(

Thank you very much for your attention,
Cristina

---
Cristina Aiftimiei - EGEE-III/ETICS-II Projects
Ist. Naz. di Fisica Nucleare - Padova
Address:    via F. Marzolo, 8 - 35131 Padova - ITALY
Phone: +39.049.8275905
Mobile: +39.3460230488