SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:29:00 +0100
Troy Dawson wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 05:42 AM, Jon Peatfield wrote:

>>> Once of our users reported the same problem this morning on our sl53
>>> machines
>>> - we did the gnutls security update on Saturday morning...

>>> It appears that sl54 ships with a newer libgcrypt (1.4.4) so bindings
>>> to that
>>> may have gotten into something that prevents it from working on earlier
>>> versions of sl5x...
>>>
>>> I'm about to test pulling over the newer libgcrypt onto an sl53 box...
>>
>> Just to confirm, updating to libgcrypt-1.4.4-5.el5 seems to fix it on
>> both
>> i386 and x86_64 machines...
>>
>>    -- Jon
>
> Oh, the wonders of compatibilities. and how one package breaks another.
> I will put the proper libgcrypt packages into testing today, and if
> everyone is agreed that it works and fixes the problem, without creating
> others, I'll push it out into the security errata tomorrow.
> Troy

I've gone down the root Jon suggested, alls well so far (touch wood).

Faye

Faye Gibbins, Computing Officer (Infrastructure Services)
      GeoS KB; Linux, Unix, Security and Networks.
Beekeeper  - The Apiary Project, KB -   www.bees.ed.ac.uk

   I grabbed at spannungsbogen before I knew I wanted it.
                  (x(x_(X_x(O_o)x_x)_X)x)
   Socrates: Question authority, question everything.
   If the maths works "Shut up and calculate!". Mermin.

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.