SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:36:02 -0500
On 3/25/2010 14:43, Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Troy Dawson<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> OK, first problem.
>> This requires wxGTK, which is not in Scientific Linux.
>> Is that an important part?  Can it be removed as a dependancy?
>> Do we want to also put that into SL?
>
> Doh, I never thought to check that it actually built on SL without EPEL.
> Will get back to you.

Adding your own copy of wxGTK instead of using EPEL's will create a
nightmare for anyone who wants to use both your gnuplot42 package and
anything in EPEL that depends on wxGTK.  If it doesn't cause any
significant problems, please consider just disabling the bits of gnuplot
that rely on wxGTK so the dependency goes away.

Or people could simply bite the bullet and use two packages from EPEL if
gnuplot42 is that important to them.  Less duplication between
repositories means a reduced chance of dependency solving problems for
the whole distribution.

--
Garrett Holmstrom
University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy