SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:55:54 -0500
Dana Stratton Ford wrote:
> SL Community:
>
> Hello I am relatively new to the linux community however I just congifured SL 5.4 x86 on my laptop. I am now trying to install the gcc4 compiler and was wondering how I go about doing that. I understand it is distributed with the SL5 release however I am having difficultly locating/installing the compiler. Does anyone know where/how I can do this, or possibly read more information about it. Thank you.

Hello,

There are two ways of looking for and installing packages for Scientific
Linux.  You can do it by hand or use a graphical program.

*By Hand - using yum
To list all the packages that start with gcc
   yum list gcc\*
To install gcc (including everything it depends on)
   yum install gcc
To list packages that have been arranged by groups
   yum grouplist
To install the development groups (which includes gcc)
   yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
   yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
To find out all the things yum can do
   man yum

*Using a graphical program
The official graphical program is pirut
   Start Menu -> System -> Add/Remove Software
I'm not a person who usually uses the graphical package installer, but
to me is seems fairly straightforward, although it looks like the
default is to do things by groups.

Hope this helps
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group