SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:38:52 -0700
On 10-03-22 11:30 AM, Dana Stratton Ford wrote:
 > SL Community:
 >
 > Hello I am relatively new to the linux community however I just
 > congifured SL 5.4 x86 on my laptop. I am now trying to install the
 > gcc4 compiler and was wondering how I go about doing that. I
 > understand it is distributed with the SL5 release however I am having
 > difficultly locating/installing the compiler. Does anyone know
 > where/how I can do this, or possibly read more information about it.
 > Thank you.

A good way to discover applications you're looking for is with yum.

For instance, a quick
-----------
yum search gcc
-----------
returns a (semi) large list of packages that may or may not be
completely associated with what you're looking for, but on one of my SL
5.4 systems, I get possibly a good candidate:

-----------
gcc.x86_64 : Various compilers (C, C++, Objective-C, Java, ...)
-----------
(of course, yours will be i386, not .x86_64)

You can also look for specific commands with the "yum provides" command,
ala:
yum provides /usr/bin/gcc

Which gives me a number of RPM packages that provide what I'm looking
for (if you don't know the exact location of the command you can check
out the man pages of yum and look for information on provides).
(/usr/*/gcc works I think)

Post more questions if you've got em :)

Hope this helps!
-Chris Tooley