SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:39:47 +0100
Stephen Isard wrote:
>> 1. remove "rhgb" from the default boot options - no graphical bootup per
>> default.
>> 2. make "norhgb" working - /etc/rc.sysinit has to be modified.
>> 3. (at least) remove "rhgb" from failsafe bootup options.
>>
>> or just leave it like it is.
>>
>> Anybody has an opinion on that?
>
> Is it out of the question to configure X before rhgb starts?  For my case at
> least, the problem isn't that SL can't figure out how to run X on my
> hardware, just that it doesn't do so early enough.

As far as I know rhgb (= redhat graphical boot) starts a temporary X server, which has its own configuration.
So I guess that in your case just rhgb fails to configure its own X server.

See /usr/share/doc/rhgb-0.16.4/HOW_IT_WORKS

> What would be the consequences of turning off rhgb?   Would it stop gdm from
> running and force all users to type 'startx' after logging in if they want
> an X session?  Or does rhgb just hide the details of the boot process?  If
> the second, then I personally would be happy with your option 1.

It's the second.
So, I have already two votes for 1.

> Btw, what is the 'nox' option supposed to do?  It evidently doesn't stop X
> from being configured.  Does it really just mean 'no graphical login'?  It
> doesn't get consulted in /etc/rc.sysinit.  Where does it have its effect?

"nox" only sets the default runlevel to 3. The X server is still configured.
Having runlevel=3, rhgb does not start up (see /usr/share/doc/rhgb-0.16.4/HOW_IT_WORKS)