SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:10:39 -0500
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:31:12 +0100, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

>Therefore "norhgb" as no effect. As you already mentioned, only "linux n
ox"
and a manual "startx" is working. :-(

>To avoid this problem in future releases of the SL LiveCDs, I see three
possibilities:

>1. remove "rhgb" from the default boot options - no graphical bootup per

default.
>2. make "norhgb" working - /etc/rc.sysinit has to be modified.
>3. (at least) remove "rhgb" from failsafe bootup options.
>
>or just leave it like it is.
>
>Anybody has an opinion on that?

Is it out of the question to configure X before rhgb starts?  For my case
 at
least, the problem isn't that SL can't figure out how to run X on my
hardware, just that it doesn't do so early enough.

What would be the consequences of turning off rhgb?   Would it stop gdm f
rom
running and force all users to type 'startx' after logging in if they wan
an X session?  Or does rhgb just hide the details of the boot process?  I
the second, then I personally would be happy with your option 1.

Btw, what is the 'nox' option supposed to do?  It evidently doesn't stop
from being configured.  Does it really just mean 'no graphical login'?  I
doesn't get consulted in /etc/rc.sysinit.  Where does it have its effect?