SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:44:46 -0500
Chris Tooley wrote:
> On 10-03-17 2:44 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> This question comes up every year or two.  We haven't made it into a web
>> page because we don't want to make it look like we are trying to take
>> away RedHat's business.
>>
>> Updating from RHEL5 to SL5 is easier than it is to update from RHEL4 to
>> SL4.  This is because RHEL5 has yum, while RHEL4 is using up2date.
>>
>> I *believe* the easiest way would be to change up2date to point to
>> scientific linux, and then use it to install yum and the first updates.
>>
>> 1 - Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and comment out the line
>>     up2date default
>> and add the lines
>>     yum fermi-base
>> http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/$ARCH/SL/RPMS/
>>     yum fermi-errata
>> http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/$ARCH/errata/SL/RPMS/
>>
>> 2 - Install yum using up2date
>>     up2date install yum
>>     up2date install yum-conf
>>
>> 3 - install sl-release using yum
>>     yum install sl-release
>>
>> 4 - Update everything else
>>     yum update
>>
>> You may run into problems with this, but I currently don't have the
>> infrastructure to test this out, so I am not sure what problems you will
>> run into.  But that is the general idea.  Get yum on the system, then
>> update sl-release, and then update everything else.
>>
>> Troy
>
> For the most part, the above instructions worked perfectly - save for
> up2date complaining about GPG signatures. I added --nosig and it worked
> great (livin on the edge!).. How would I have installed the gpg signature?
>
> Also, do you mind if I publish these instructions on the web? (I can
> give credit, or not - depending upon what you prefer).. I know you don't
> want it to look like you're trying to cannabalize RHEL but this helps
> smaller vendors or university groups who don't have the resources for a
> full RHEL support license.
>
> Also, thank you kindly for all the work you do on SL!
>
> Thanks,
> ~Chris

Which GPG signatures did they need?
We have our public GPG signatures available on www.scientificlinux.org,
so it might be possible to get them that way.  Something like
rpm --import http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-sl
rpm --import
http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-dawson

If you want to put the instructions up on a web page, that it up to you.
  I'd be surprised if there isn't already a web page or two about it.
But we won't put one up on the official web site.

Thanks reporting back.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group