SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:44:20 -0500
Chris Tooley wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been answered before, but is there a page
> detailing how to convert a TUVL4 system to SL4?
>
> Thanks,
> ~Chris

Hi,
This question comes up every year or two.  We haven't made it into a web
page because we don't want to make it look like we are trying to take
away RedHat's business.

Updating from RHEL5 to SL5 is easier than it is to update from RHEL4 to
SL4.  This is because RHEL5 has yum, while RHEL4 is using up2date.

I *believe* the easiest way would be to change up2date to point to
scientific linux, and then use it to install yum and the first updates.

1 - Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and comment out the line
   up2date default
and add the lines
   yum fermi-base
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/$ARCH/SL/RPMS/
   yum fermi-errata
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/$ARCH/errata/SL/RPMS/

2 - Install yum using up2date
   up2date install yum
   up2date install yum-conf

3 - install sl-release using yum
   yum install sl-release

4 - Update everything else
   yum update

You may run into problems with this, but I currently don't have the
infrastructure to test this out, so I am not sure what problems you will
run into.  But that is the general idea.  Get yum on the system, then
update sl-release, and then update everything else.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group