SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:42:44 -0500
Filippo Cattaneo wrote:
> Years of Debian esperience, new to SL, 3rd  attempt at installing 5.4.
>
> I specify that grub should be installed in the root partition, in my case
>
> /dev/hda4.  I use GAG as pure boot selector, each OS has its own bootload
> er
> on-partition.
>
> Due to history, /dev/hda4 is the second primary, right after hda1 on the
> disk.
>
> I decline to rearrange partition order, and also decline to add other OS'
> to the SL grub boot menu as proffered by installer.
>
> On 1st boot I consistently find no bootloader on /dev/hda4.  Other OS's b
> oot
> fine.
>
> Booted rescue twice, chrooted to root partition, I see the fileysytem whe
> re
> it should be - i.e. the system seemingly doesn't get confused by partitio
> ns
> not being in order.
>
> Attempted this:
>           grub-install /dev/hda4
>
> I repeatedly get this message:
>           error reading stage 1
>
> I failed to find references to this on the list.
> Is this a known problem?
> Did I miss something in the archives?
>
> TIA!

Hi,
Every time I've had a
   "error reading stage 1"
it has been because I didn't really let the installer install *anything*
on my disk.  Meaning, that instead of having it put grub on my root
partition, I don't have it install grub anywhere.
If you don't tell it to put grub on any partition, it doesn't setup grub
at all.  So you will be missing some critical files.
How to check if this is so?
Do a
   ls /boot/grub/

and see if it looks similar to this
# ls /boot/grub/
device.map     grub.conf         minix_stage1_5     stage2
e2fs_stage1_5  iso9660_stage1_5  reiserfs_stage1_5  ufs2_stage1_5
fat_stage1_5   jfs_stage1_5      splash.xpm.gz      vstafs_stage1_5
ffs_stage1_5   menu.lst          stage1             xfs_stage1_5
#

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group