SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:09:57 +0000
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The following may indicate a security hole.  Paul is a competent
> fellow, so I'm taking this seriously.  Perhaps somebody more
> competent than both of us has a more informed opinion.

Perhaps this is related:

   http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=8434

   Spamassassin Milter Plugin Remote Root Attack
   Handler Bojan notes that it appears that the bad guys have started to
   actively exploit SpamAssassin's milter vulnerability that has been
   published last weekend (more details at
   http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2010-03/0139.html).

That page also mentions a preliminary patch to the milter code to fix the
bug...

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |