SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2010

From:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:12:44 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Wayne Betts wrote:
>> Something funny seems to be going on with fuse and the packages in the
>> repositories for SL 5.3.
>>
>> The fuse package in the base repo (at least on the mirror I use) is
>> version 5:2.6.3-1.SL.  (That "5:" is an epoch number, right?)  In any
>> case, yum won't update to the package in the sl-security repo, which is
>> version 2.7.4-8.el5.
>> Also, there are no kernel-module-fuse-2.6.18-164* packages in the
>> sl-security repository, which seems like an omission.
>>
>> Can someone either help me understand what's going on, or fix the
>> sl-security repository with a "later" version of fuse and kernel modules
>> for the various kernel errata levels above 2.16.18-128-*?
>>

>> -Wayne Betts
>> STAR Computing Support at BNL
>
> First off, the kernel module.
> That is now in the kernel so there is no need for kernel-module rpm's.
>
> As for the epoch number on our version of fuse.  That was introduced by
> Paul Rombouts back in 2006.  I am not sure why, but since this same rpm
> was also used for fedora, and it mentions livna, I am suspecting that
> some other repository (livna, EPEL, dag, I don't know) already had an
> epoch in it.

Now that SL has pulled the custom fuse-libs package from its repos so
upstream's can go there instead, newly-installed systems get the right
version as long as your base repo is at least version 5.4.  But as
you're seeing, existing systems with the old package have all the new
updates masked by the old package's epoch.  This cannot be fixed at the
repo level without renaming or adding an epoch to the fuse-libs package
every time it has an update for the rest of SL 5's lifetime.

The easiest solution to the yum update problem is to:
  * Update your base repo to 5.4 so yum doesn't see the epoch'd package
  * Run ``yum downgrade fuse-libs'' on all affected systems

Luckily this is a one-time fix that doesn't affect newly-installed
systems.  Unless, of course, your base repo is not yet updated to at
least 5.4, in which case the problem will continue to show up on all of
your SL 5 systems until you stop using the old base repo.

I hope that helps!

--
Garrett Holmstrom
University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy