SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:31:51 -0500
The 64 bit SL 5.4 was used a dual core AMD processor in mini ATX - Serial ata
sytem.  We had a lot of problems with this system with SL 5.3 - video and
disks didn't work.  As a result the box set in the corner for 9 Mo.

With SL 5.4 it works well except for the initial log in set up for a user -
it's screwed up and you canno't set a user home directory other than /home.
Once you set a users home directory if you remove the user later and need to
add the user later the it the login data base is then loused up.  Once you
remove a user all is not cleaned up.  Our solution to this is to Load it and
set up internet,  never add a user, and upgrade all packages and its fixed
over night.
There are a number of applications that run perfectly on SL 5.4  32 bit system
but do not work well, do not work, or are missing libraries for the 64 bit
system.   From the operation I would assume that some pointers are set up as
a 32 bit and they wrap. It pretty obvious in some music apps that the sliders
(linear pots in the analog world) are cast a wrong size integer as the
controls move so far and start back at the beginning - Not too cool.

We installed a SL5.4 under Vmware running on a SL5.4 to test problem code.
If it dies we can see where something is written to.
Another App worth having is BeyondCompare.   If you are looking for
differences its very logical.

I will make a list of applications that have problems and post them.

Larry Linder