SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Jim McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:36:44 -0800
Hello --

Has anyone downloaded the SLC54_ia64_dvd.iso image at this location:

http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc54/iso/

and successfully booted from it to install Scientific Linux CERN v5.4 for Itanium ?

I successfully downloaded the 3.7Gb ISO image onto an NTFS hard drive, confirmed the MD5 sum matched the posted value, and used Roxio MyDVD to burn successfully (or so it seemed) a DVD+R disk -- twice.  I've tried to boot off each of the DVDs in two different Itanium-2 HP workstations (zx2000 and zx6000), and in all cases I get a message "File Not Found" ... nor can I browse the DVD contents from the EFI shell.   I have used the drives in both HP workstations to successfully boot+install off DVD media in the not-too-distant past.

I'm posting to find out whether anyone else has created a valid installation boot DVD from this ISO (and therefore I must be doing something wrong in Roxio burning the DVD+R disks), or alternatively whether the ISO image itself might be somehow flawed -- or isn't intended to be bootable nor accessed via the EFI shell ?   Or maybe no one else has tried ?

Assuming it's pilot error on my part, what DVD file system disk format *should* I be selecting when using Roxio MyDVD to burn this ISO file onto the DVD+R disk?  (ISO9660, Joliet/ISO9660, or UDF ?)  I selected the default in the MyDVD application, but wonder if I should have chosen UDF instead ?

I used the same ISO9660-based default selection in Roxio MyDVD when successfully creating bootable Scientific Linux v5.4 i386 DVD+R disks from the two DVD install ISO images I downloaded from the mirror linux1.fnal.gov.   Is it possible the SLC DVD ISO filesystem format is different, or might the posted SLC DVD ISO image itself be invalid ?

Thanks in advance,

    -- Jim McCarthy