SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:39:33 -0600
Troy J Dawson wrote:
> Hello All,
> There have been some power problems in the computer center where the
> main Scientific Linux distribution servers are at.  We apologize for the
> inconvenience that this has caused.
> The fault has been traced to a bad breaker, one of the main breakers.
> As a result our computing center is running at a reduced load until the
> breaker is replaced.
>
> As a result, ftp.scientificlinux.org is up and running.
> But rsync.scientificlinux.org, ftp1.scientificlinux.org, and
> ftp2.scientificlinux.org are *not* running.
>
> The current schedule is for the breaker to be repaired tomorrow.  This
> will again take all of our machines offline during the repair.  We
> currently do not have a more precise time than "tomorrow".  We will let
> you know when we do.
>
> Again, we apologize and are sorry for any inconvenience this has, and
> will, cause.
>
> Troy Dawson

Here is the latest update.
It seems we will not have another power outage, just rationing power for
the time being.  Because of that we are only able to bring up
ftp.scientificlinux.org at the current time.
rsync is turned on for ftp.scientificlinux.org so you are able to mirror
from it.
We will find out tomorrow what will be done with the other machines
rsync.scientificlinux.org, ftp1.scientificlinux.org and
ftp2.scientificlinux.org.
Thank you for your patience.
We will keep you updated when we find out more.
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group