SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:09:56 -0600
If you look at past outages (they are very rare but they have happened)
you will notice that I am usually quite quick with my emails.

These particular outages also affected our email system, so there was no
way for me to send out an email.

The outage that happened on February 9, the email came back several
hours after the distribution servers did, so the only thing I could do
was post it on the web site and on twitter.  (I'm not a big twitter
person, so I don't do it often)

Troy

Fernando Campos wrote:
> That's the second time I have troubles installing SL from the ftp
> servers, but nothing is perfect, so thank you very much for the
> worthfull work you carry out...
>
> BTW, could be possible, for the next time, send an e-mail letting people
> be aware that the server is not working at the moment, so we could
> directly use the mirrors??? Just an idea!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Fernando.
>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 19:11, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello All,
>     There have been some power problems in the computer center where the
>     main Scientific Linux distribution servers are at.  We apologize for
>     the inconvenience that this has caused.
>     The fault has been traced to a bad breaker, one of the main
>     breakers. As a result our computing center is running at a reduced
>     load until the breaker is replaced.
>
>     As a result, ftp.scientificlinux.org
>     <http://ftp.scientificlinux.org> is up and running.
>     But rsync.scientificlinux.org <http://rsync.scientificlinux.org>,
>     ftp1.scientificlinux.org <http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org>, and
>     ftp2.scientificlinux.org <http://ftp2.scientificlinux.org> are *not*
>     running.
>
>     The current schedule is for the breaker to be repaired tomorrow.
>      This will again take all of our machines offline during the repair.
>      We currently do not have a more precise time than "tomorrow".  We
>     will let you know when we do.
>
>     Again, we apologize and are sorry for any inconvenience this has,
>     and will, cause.
>
>     Troy Dawson

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group