SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:36:12 -0600
Well, the best place to look is on the server.  It *should* be in
/var/log/messages on the server.

Something like this

Feb 16 10:31:20 mymachine mountd[2202]: authenticated mount request from
myothermachine:891 for /home (/home)

or

Feb 16 10:34:48 mymachine mountd[2202]: refused mount request from
myothermachine for /baddir (/): not exported

If you notice, it actually gives the reason for why the mount failed.
Troy

Genie Jhang wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I don't know where I can find the log.
>
> I already look into /var/log/messages file, but there's nothing i'm
> looking for.
>
> Where can I find the log?
>
> 2010/2/17 Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>
>     Hi,
>     Through all of this, you haven't said what error you are getting.
>     You should see an error on both the client trying to mount, and the
>     server when it fails the mount, or successfully mounts.
>
>     Please send that information.
>
>     Troy
>
>     Genie Jhang wrote:
>
>         Thanks for you reply, Andy.
>
>         Because the nfs server setting is configured long time ago and
>         it works other 8 computers with SL 4.6, I think it is not a problem.
>
>         Thanks for your advice, but our lab server can be accessed only
>         in the lab. So, there's no security problem.
>         I found something.
>
>         With the setting I wrote previously, the one written latter (
>         /home ) will be mounted.
>
>         In this situation, if I type mount -a, /data is also mounted.
>
>         I think this means that fstab file syntax and nfs server setting
>         is all right.
>
>         Am I right?
>
>         Additionally, NFS server is SL 4.6 and clients that drive me
>         crazy are SL 5.4 and SL 5.3.
>
>         I want to install SL 4.6, but its kernel doesn't recognize i7 860.
>
>         Please help me.
>
>         2010/2/17 Andy Mastbaum <[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]> <mailto:[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>>
>

>            Silly suggestion perhaps, but did you re-run `exportfs -ra` after
>            changing exports? if that doesn't work, maybe reload/restart
>         the nfs
>            server daemon?
>
>            Also, just as a PSA: exporting to *(rw) is a very dangerous
>            animal... you may be giving root access to your shares to anyone
>            with root privileges on any client visible to your server!
>
>            Best,
>            Andy
>
>            Genie Jhang wrote:
>
>                Thanks Urs and Stephan.
>
>                I set up three machines and all show me that
>
>                /home *
>                /data *
>
>                when i typed showmount -e 192.168.0.109.
>
>                Also, I tried to change rw to ro in fstab files, still they
>                don't work
>
>                strange thing is that I set up three machines with the same
>                configuration,
>
>                but one of them works!!
>
>                What on earth is this?
>
>                And, if I manually type mount -t nfs 192.168.0.109:/data
>         /data,
>                it will be mounted.
>
>                hmm
>
>                Please help
>

>                2010/2/16 Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>                <mailto:[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group