SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:12:28 -0600
Hi,
Through all of this, you haven't said what error you are getting.
You should see an error on both the client trying to mount, and the
server when it fails the mount, or successfully mounts.

Please send that information.

Troy

Genie Jhang wrote:
> Thanks for you reply, Andy.
>
> Because the nfs server setting is configured long time ago and it works
> other 8 computers with SL 4.6, I think it is not a problem.
>
> Thanks for your advice, but our lab server can be accessed only in the
> lab. So, there's no security problem.
>
> I found something.
>
> With the setting I wrote previously, the one written latter ( /home )
> will be mounted.
>
> In this situation, if I type mount -a, /data is also mounted.
>
> I think this means that fstab file syntax and nfs server setting is all
> right.
>
> Am I right?
>
> Additionally, NFS server is SL 4.6 and clients that drive me crazy are
> SL 5.4 and SL 5.3.
>
> I want to install SL 4.6, but its kernel doesn't recognize i7 860.
>
> Please help me.
>
> 2010/2/17 Andy Mastbaum <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>
>     Silly suggestion perhaps, but did you re-run `exportfs -ra` after
>     changing exports? if that doesn't work, maybe reload/restart the nfs
>     server daemon?
>
>     Also, just as a PSA: exporting to *(rw) is a very dangerous
>     animal... you may be giving root access to your shares to anyone
>     with root privileges on any client visible to your server!
>
>     Best,
>     Andy
>
>     Genie Jhang wrote:
>
>         Thanks Urs and Stephan.
>
>         I set up three machines and all show me that
>
>         /home *
>         /data *
>
>         when i typed showmount -e 192.168.0.109.
>
>         Also, I tried to change rw to ro in fstab files, still they
>         don't work
>
>         strange thing is that I set up three machines with the same
>         configuration,
>
>         but one of them works!!
>
>         What on earth is this?
>
>         And, if I manually type mount -t nfs 192.168.0.109:/data /data,
>         it will be mounted.
>
>         hmm
>
>         Please help
>

>         2010/2/16 Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]> <mailto:[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>>
>

>            Hi,
>
>            What does showmount shows on the NFS client?
>
>            showmount -e 192.168.0.109
>
>            Cheers,
>
>                   Urs
>

>            Genie Jhang wrote:
>             > Hello.
>             >
>             > Our lab are using NFS.
>             >
>             > 192.168.0.109:/data     /data                   nfs
>             > tcp,soft,bg,intr,rw     0 0
>             > 192.168.0.109:/home     /home                   nfs
>             > tcp,soft,bg,intr,rw     0 0
>             >
>             > with these two lines in /etc/fstab, it worked great on SL 4.6.
>             >
>             > So, I added two lines /etc/fstab on SL 5.6, it doesn't work.
> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group