SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:55:07 -0600
Jeffrey D Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 2:19:26 pm Reddy, John wrote:
>> One of my users, bless his heart, has requested I install a tool he called
>> "modules".  That's all he's been able to describe it to me as in terms of
>> name.  Apparently, it's a program that allows users to load or unload
>> grouped sets of environment variables.
>>
>> Does anyone have this tool, know what it's called, who's developing it,
>> etc?  Yes, I know, horribly, terribly vague software description.  Here's
>> the context, which may help identify it.
>>
>> We've got a clustered processing environment with 120 dual-quad nodes
>> running a variety of SL 4.x and 5.x with job control via Torque & Moab.
>> We've got three different compilers with multiple versions each, a variety
>> of implementations of MPI, etc.  So a tool such as this would be useful for
>> my users.
>>
>> Now the MPI selection is easily handled with mpi-selector.  I could
>> probably (easily) enlist that tool for environment selection.  However, I'd
>> like to see if I can find someone using the tool my user requested.
>>
>> TIA for any thoughts on the matter.
>>
>> -John
>>

>> ---
>> John Reddy
>> Technology Architect
>> Information Technology Division - Unix Services
>> Brookhaven National Laboratory
>> [log in to unmask] - 631-344-3284
>
> John:
>
> Actually your user is correct.  "Modules" really is the name of the tool.
>
> googling 'modules environment' provides a lot of information.  The first hits
> are the sourceforge page for the project, and a wikipedia article that should
> be very illuminating.
>
> It is a very useful package for environments where you have different versions
> of the same tools.   "modules" are described by simple tcl scripts that can
> be defined by the administrator or by users themselves.  Then users can
> select between versions by simple commands.
>
> It was commonly used on Solaris, and I've used the linux version in a
> clustering environment much like you describe.  You may find it gives you
> much more flexibility than mpi-selector.  For example, if you have tools that
> are compiled with different versions of compilers, for different versions of
> MPI.

If the package you are looking from really is at
http://modules.sourceforge.net/ then this is found in epel as
"environment-modules"

   yum install yum-conf-epel
(or your favorite way of getting epel into your yum repositories)

   yum install environment-modules

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group