SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:11:05 +1100
Hi,

> Hello All,
>
> at RWTH Aachen, Germany, we are experiencing frequent kernel
> freezings of our (a bit older) data servers when using (SL5,) the
> xfs file system and NFS4 with i386 data server architectures. No
> problems with 64 bit servers.
>
> >From the /var/log messages we think that the problem is due to a smaller
stack size for the i386 kernel as described here:
>   http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-May/089314.html
>
> Any chance that for future SL kernel upgrades 8k instead of 4k stack

Red Hat will never increase the stack size from 4k to 8k. This is why Red Hat
never (originally) supported XFS with their Linux releases.

Just know that the 4k stack size will never change for 32 bit architectures
under Red Hat releases. If you're going to hit the problem consistently
because you're using 32 bit with 4k stack sizes then your only choices (as I
know them) is to not use Red Hat-based 32bit derivative releases with XFS or
if you continue to use Red Hat-based 32bit derivatives, don't use XFS.

The problem lies with how many "layers" you can have with a 4k stack size.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------