SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Ernst Fueloep <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ernst Fueloep <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:55:19 -0600
Hi,

I run on a SL54 system named (DNS server).
Whenever named is updated the user named looses the write permissions to
/var/named/chroot/var/named and /var/log/messages is full of:

named[2556]: dumping master file: tmp-vAF8TPzuhu: open: permission denied

error messages.

The DNS server on my SL54 system is the primary DNS server. I have a few
slave DNS servers set up.

Yesterday, suddenly, although I have not installed any named update the
owner of /var/named/chroot/var/named changed to root. I don't know which
task has done this.
I have changed it to named again and all is well now.

But, general, does anybody know how I should set up named to prevent this
?
A pointer to more details and a permanent solution?

When I search with Google I find thousands of hits. This surely is obviou
sly
a problem which does not plague me alone.

Regards,
Ernst