SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:55:36 +0000
On 12 February 2010 11:34, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Genie Jhang wrote:

<snip>
>> Our lab cannot afford to buy VGA cards as many as the number of nodes.
>>
>> So, I decided to build them without VGA card.
>>
>> (Of course, there's only one for the time of first install and setting.)
>>
>> After I've done all the thing, shutting off, and I pulled the card out.
>>
>> But, SL won't boot.
>
> By default SL has a graphical boot (see the package "rhgb"
> and the document /usr/share/doc/rhgb-0.16.4/HOW_IT_WORKS ).
> Reading  /etc/rc.sysinit I guess that the simplest thing would
> be to remove, not not install, rhgb.

There are two requirements for a "headless" server with RHEL 5 /
CentOS 5 and so, by extrapolation, SL 5.

The first is to remove the rhgb package (or, at the minimum, remove
the reference to it from the kernel line in your /etc/grub.conf file),
as Andrew has mentioned above and the second is to comment out (or
remove) the "splashimage=" line which you will also find in your
/etc/grub.conf file.

Alan.