SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Billy Crook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Billy Crook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:42:41 -0600
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 16:19, Reddy, John <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> One of my users, bless his heart, has requested I install a tool he called "modules".  That's all he's been able to describe it to me as in terms of name.  Apparently, it's a program that allows users to load or unload grouped sets of environment variables.

Hey John,

This is Billy with Advanced Clustering Support.  We've been shipping
'modules' with our clusters for some time.  I don't much care for
their name either, and usually refer to them as shell modules.  We see
customers use them most in job submission scripts to load one module
for openmpi jobs or one for mvapich2.  On recent (at least 2009 and
later) ACT clusters you should find our default modulefiles in
/act/Modules.  We don't change the modules program itself, but we have
some template modules for common mpi environments.  If you don't have
a copy on any of your Advanced Clustering Technologies headnodes, let
me know, and I'll send you a link to a tarball of our latest /act dir,
or just act/Modules if you want; or you can get it from sourceforge.

-Billy