SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
"Reddy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reddy, John
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:19:26 -0500
One of my users, bless his heart, has requested I install a tool he called "modules".  That's all he's been able to describe it to me as in terms of name.  Apparently, it's a program that allows users to load or unload grouped sets of environment variables.

Does anyone have this tool, know what it's called, who's developing it, etc?  Yes, I know, horribly, terribly vague software description.  Here's the context, which may help identify it.

We've got a clustered processing environment with 120 dual-quad nodes running a variety of SL 4.x and 5.x with job control via Torque & Moab.  We've got three different compilers with multiple versions each, a variety of implementations of MPI, etc.  So a tool such as this would be useful for my users.

Now the MPI selection is easily handled with mpi-selector.  I could probably (easily) enlist that tool for environment selection.  However, I'd like to see if I can find someone using the tool my user requested.

TIA for any thoughts on the matter.

-John

---
John Reddy
Technology Architect
Information Technology Division - Unix Services
Brookhaven National Laboratory
[log in to unmask] - 631-344-3284