SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:51:04 -0600
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Matthias Schroeder wrote:

> Thomas Kress wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> at RWTH Aachen, Germany, we are experiencing frequent kernel
>> freezings of our (a bit older) data servers when using (SL5,) the xfs
>> file system and NFS4 with i386 data server architectures. No problems
>> with 64 bit servers.
>
> You are aware that xfs is not really supported on 32 bit systems?

The stack issue is the biggest reason that we state that 32 bit systems
are not supported.  The other reason is that any SGI patches are only for
x86_64 .

>> From the /var/log messages we think that the problem is due to a
>> smaller stack size for the i386 kernel as described here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-May/089314.html
>>
>> Any chance that for future SL kernel upgrades 8k instead of 4k stack
>> size is used also for the 32 bit architecture (kernel parameter
>> CONFIG_4KSTACKS=n)

This change was done by TUV and we are not going to change it unless they
do.  And I suspect that to not happen.

> Epsilon, I would say.
>
>> or any idea how to cure the problem ?
>
> Go to 64 bit.

XFS works better on 64 bit

>> In our
>> opinion ext3 is not a very good choice for big data servers in case
>> of fs crashes.
>
> Why insist on a 32 bit system for 'a big data server'???
>
> Matthias
>

>> I found this issue discussed already in Jan 2006 on this list but I
>> wonder whether there was any progress during the last four years.
>>
>> Thanks & cheers, Thomas.
>>
>> -- Mit besten Gruessen/With kind regards,
>>
>> Thomas Kress, RWTH Aachen, III. Physikalisches Institut, Lehrstuhl B
>> Office Aachen:  28A 206, Phone: +49 241 80 27281, Fax: ... 22244
>> Office CERN: B40 4-A16, Phone: +41 22 76 71682,   Fax: ... 78940
>> Email:
>> ; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Signed with a
>> certificate issued by GridKa-CA (GermanGrid)

-connie sieh