SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:44:56 -0600
Fernando Campos wrote:
> Thanks for answering!!
>
> I have a question: It's not suppose that SL4 stands for RHEL4 and SL5
> for RHEL5??

Correct

> Because I found the version 1.2.27 of rrdtool in the el5 section of EPEL:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/rrdtool.html
>
> Could be that the appropriate version of rrdtool for SL5 is still 1.2.X???

The problem is that the dag repository was at version 1.3, and is now at
version 1.4.
So, if we only had version 1.2, then all of our dag repository users
would be having problems.

I have to admit, that when someone asked to put it in, and I agreed, I
had no idea about all the dependancies that were involved.  Not that
rrdtool has dependencies, but all the other packages that depend on it.

Troy

> [...]
>                    compatible with both epel and dag (which packaged rrdtool
>                    differently
>                    from each other)
>
>                This seems to cause rather bad breakage with the EPEL
>         builds of
>                ganglia,
>                and possibly anything else that uses the rrdtool
>         libraries. The
>                current
>                EPEL ganglia links against librrd.so.2, which is in the EPEL
>                build of
>                rrdtool as a symlink in the usual manner:
>
>                 # ls -l /usr/lib64/librrd.so.2
>                 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb  1 14:52
>         /usr/lib64/librrd.so.2
>                ->  librrd.so.2.0.13
>
>                The new SL rrdtool packages however, have a different library
>                soname:
>
>                 # ls -l /usr/lib64/librrd.so.4
>                 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb  1 15:14
>         /usr/lib64/librrd.so.4
>                ->  librrd.so.4.0.8
>
>                Depending on the installation order, this either makes it
>                impossible to
>                install EPEL's ganglia (if the SL rrdtool is already
>         installed)
>                or to
>                update from the sl-security repo if the EPEL rrdtool and
>         ganglia
>                packages are already installed.
>
>                Given the reference to making the SL packages 'compatible
>         with
>                both epel
>                and dag', I'm guessing this is not intended behaviour.
>         I'm not
>                sure how
>                best to fix this, but the simplest approach may be to pull
>                ganglia into
>                SL and rebuild it against the newer rrdtool.
>

>            Would it not be easier to just remove rrdtool from SL.
>         Following on
>            from fixing this way you would eventually have to replace
>         everything
>            in EPEL.
>

>                Ewan
>

>         --
>         ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Fernando Campos Del Pozo
>         Becario Super-Computación - Departamento de Física Teórica
>         Facultad de Ciencias / Módulo 15 (C-XI) / Despacho 512
>         Tlf.: +34-914974893
>         e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>

>     --
>     __________________________________________________
>     Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  (630)840-6468
>     Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group
>

> --
> Fernando Campos Del Pozo
> Becario Super-Computación - Departamento de Física Teórica
> Facultad de Ciencias / Módulo 15 (C-XI) / Despacho 512
> Tlf.: +34-914974893
> e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group