SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2010

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:48:20 -0800
I recently added a second color printer.

Unlike my HP2605dn, the HP2600n does not offer Postscript, but is a
glorified winprinter using the Zenographics ZjStream protocol.  The
best driver is the foo2hp at http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ .  I compiled
and ran it on one of my SL5 systems.  I also upgraded ghostscript
to version 8.70 (in /usr/local/bin ) for the best rendering.

There was a problem - the foo2hp PPD file has options for vertically
offsetting the CMY colors relative to black, between plus or minus
100 lines, 1/6 of an inch.  With the SL5 version of foomatic, that
works for all nonzero offsets, but it turns an offset of zero into
an offset of -100 lines.

The same code and PPD does work on Ubuntu Hardy - the difference
seems to be foomatic.

Replacing foomatic in SL5 is problematic - if it gets an automatic
update, I lose the fix.  I may want other features of the upgrade,
if there is a security fix, for instance.

The easiest thing to do was to hack a new and simplified version of
the PPD file.  I took out the entire Group describing the offsets,
then reconfigured the printer.  If I need offsets for some bizarre
reason, I can still use the original driver.

For more information, see my wiki:
  http://wiki.keithl.com/index.cgi?foo2hp
and the foo2hp forum:
  http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/read.php?5,2446,2455

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993