SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Andrew Stallard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Stallard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:01:50 -0600
Hello, I ran into this problem today. Nautilus crashed and now I have no
access to the taskbar, my external hard drive, or any applications unless
click an icon in the folder. I also get several error messages just to st
art
when I log on, and they continue to appear every time I do anything. This

happens whether I log on as root or a regular user.

Now these error messages state:

ERROR: GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible

causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you ha
ve
stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf for information. (Details-1 IOR file
'/tmp/gcondf-root/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gcondf located. N
such file or directory. Details-2 IOR file '/tmp/gcondf-root/lock/ior' no
opened successfully, no gcondf located. No such file or directory.)

This is repeated a few times. I found the /tmp/gcondf-root directory but
there was nothing inside of it. How did the subdirectories just disappear
,
or is that what really happened? Now, I did expand the permissions on the

entire tmp directory to rwx for all becuase I was moving some junk out of

it, but I did not touch the aforementioned directories at all. Neverthele
ss,
could expanding the permissions have something to do with this? I am real
ly
at a loss for this one, and the situation is desperate!

Thank You for Responding:

Andrew Stallard