SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:36:56 +0100
On Jan 26, 2010, at 14:18, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

> Matthias Schroeder wrote:
>> Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
>>>
>>> gcc43 and gcc44 are obviously two different packages and one choose to
>>> install one of them or both but I am not sure both versions of libgomp
>>> can be installed simultaneously, so there is a problem here.
>> Why not just de-install gcc43, and install gcc44?
>
> This I cannot do without a careful study of the impact...
>
> And it does not solve the original problem if one wants to keep
> gcc34 which should be allowed and supported IMHO.

TUV doesn't support it:

% rpm -q --obsoletes gcc44
gcc43

So this is one of the few cases where SL's valiant attempt to support previous minor releases fails. But then, the status of gcc4 on SL5 is "tech preview", which means that something is wrong if anyone depends on it.

Regards,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand