SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:28:20 -0600
Jim Green wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'n trying to get amanda working on x86_64 SL51
>
> - problem one, an old bug in the amanda rpm causing a segfault
>   on a double-freed pointer, fixed by obtaining
>
>     amanda-*-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64.rpm
>
>   and manually installing,
>
> - problem two, we get backups OK on ext3 filesystems but
>   failures on XFS filesystems, google suggests that if amanda
>   is compiled on a system without xfsdump installed then the
>   amanda will be built without xfs support.   I think that this has
>   happened
>   - question : can I find out if it has XFS support? I can't see a way
>
> - problem three, OK, I'll rebuild it myself, grab the source rpm,
>   rpm -i it into /usr/src, cd to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>
>      rpmbuild -bb amanda.spec
>
>   result : configure.in:2588: /usr/bin/m4: builtin `mkstemp' requested by
>   frozen file is not supported,
>
>   google says due to m4 being too old.
>
>     m4 --versionGNU M4
>     1.4.5
>
>   this seems to be the newest SL5 m4 available.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> What baffles me is that, if the newest m4 in SL is unable to build the
> amanda package, then how come the SL amanda rpms exist!  where they
> compiled on another RH variant in some bizzare "cross distro compilation"
> exercise?!
>
> Any pointers would be gratefully received
>
> Cheers
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,
I can answer the m4 question.

RHEL5 was compiled with a different m4 than is in the distribution.
As a result, SL5 has been recompiled with a different m4 than is in the
distribution.

Here is the version of m4 that we use to compile.
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/slf5x/SRPMS/SL/m4-1.4.8-1.src.rpm

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group