SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Jim Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:40:05 +0000
Hi all

I recently posted the following query on this list

> I'm running a freshly installed sl51 and on login get a very annoying
> message from the gnome-settings-manager about being unable to
> contact to socket: /tmp/dbus-kjsdfhjd : connection refused.
>  :

but had no replies -- I post a solution for the sake of the archive.

Further research on Google revealed that this problem can be caused
by an old bug in dbus, which introduced a race condition on pipes
being closed at the time a process wanted to write to them.

I tried to update dbus within SL51 but found a cascade of dependencies
made this "too interesting" to follow through.  A clean install of SL54 on
the same hardware (and with the same corporate setup) fixes the
problem for me.

Cheers

Jim
--