SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Andy Mastbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Mastbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:34:03 -0500
Hello, all.

I'm having a weird problem with my SL 5.3 login server. All of a sudden
(and without me changing anything) logins over SSH are very, very slow
-- up to a few minutes.

Once users are logged in, everything is fast. This doesn't happen when I
log in at the console, only over the network.

I tried restarting every network service, rebuilding the NIS directory,
and finally rebooting the server, and nothing has helped.

This is SL 5.3, Linux 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP x86_64, user info is
NIS (on the same server), and home directories are NFS-mounted, but NIS
and NFS should be okay since local logins are fast. I'd think a problem
with the NIC, but it's a nice Intel PRO/1000 and it's only the
authentication that's slow.

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated... my users are getting
pretty unhappy :(

Thanks!

Andy Mastbaum