SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:53:29 -0600

Is the shared volume mounted squashroot (i.e. does root actually have
read/write access)?

Larry Linder wrote:
| There is a problem with installing new users in a directory other than
/home
| Most of us work from our home directory some use a meg and some use
many G.

| In our scheme to isolate users from OS's we have a number of large
disk set up
| as  engr1, engr2, engrnn.   A number of users have their login
directory in
| something other than /home.
|
| Red Hat some how got this messed up.
|
| If you install it, login as root, make a new user account that is like
the old
| account.   /engr10/users/llinder.  you will not be able to login as
linder.
| Not only that if you use the new user GUI and remove a user it will
remove the
| users directory that it couldn't find for a login !!!!
|
| The message you get is totally bogus.
|
| " Your home directory is listed as
| '/engr/users/llinder'
| but it does not appear to exist.  Do you want to
| login with /root directory?
| It unlikely anything will work . . .
| unless you use a failsafe
| 					no 	yes
|
| "
| To prove the point I added a new user "bogus" and it a / home/bogus
directory
| was created.  Interesting because there was never a /home directory
set up
| during an install.  So where is this magic /home directory.
|
| It looks like to use SL you have to assign a Tera byte drives to /home
and let
| the garbage pile up, Without much hope of doing an intelligent back up
|
| What we are planning to do till we can get this sorted out is to
install Open
| Suse 9.3   as 10.3  screwed up with LVM trash.
|
| Larry Linder

- --
Robert E. Blair, Room C221, Building 360
Argonne National Laboratory (High Energy Physics Division)
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: (630)-252-7545  FAX: (630)-252-5782
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.hep.anl.gov/reb/key.asc