SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:41:44 -0500
There is a problem with installing new users in a directory other than /home
Most of us work from our home directory some use a meg and some use many G.

In our scheme to isolate users from OS's we have a number of large disk set up
as  engr1, engr2, engrnn.   A number of users have their login directory in
something other than /home.

Red Hat some how got this messed up.

If you install it, login as root, make a new user account that is like the old
account.   /engr10/users/llinder.  you will not be able to login as linder.
Not only that if you use the new user GUI and remove a user it will remove the
users directory that it couldn't find for a login !!!!

The message you get is totally bogus.

" Your home directory is listed as
'/engr/users/llinder'
but it does not appear to exist.  Do you want to
login with /root directory?
It unlikely anything will work . . .
unless you use a failsafe
					no 	yes

"
To prove the point I added a new user "bogus" and it a / home/bogus  directory
was created.  Interesting because there was never a /home directory set up
during an install.  So where is this magic /home directory.

It looks like to use SL you have to assign a Tera byte drives to /home and let
the garbage pile up, Without much hope of doing an intelligent back up

What we are planning to do till we can get this sorted out is to install Open
Suse 9.3   as 10.3  screwed up with LVM trash.

Larry Linder