SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:16:45 +0000
2010/1/13 Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi Alan,
> Thank you for explanation.  I have to admit that I hadn't looked at ELRepo
> before today, although I've heard of it.  It looks very useful for people
> who need drivers.
> A couple of questions
> I see you have both nvidia-x11-drv as well as kmod-nvidia.  Are these
> independant, or do you have to have both installed?
>
> I am somewhat new to kABI kernel modules.  I know the theory, but not much
> else.
> In your experience with RHEL5, how often has RedHat broken or modified the
> ABI's, requiring you to update your kmod package?
>
> Troy

Hi Troy,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier . . .

Having read Phil's comprehensive reply there is very little for me to
say and nothing for me to correct. :-)

Just one comment about Red Hat's published kABI. They will never
remove a symbol from it -- what was present in the original EL5
kernel-2.6.18-8.el5 is present in kernel-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5. When a
new point is released, there may be new ksyms added to the published
ABI -- so it evolves over time.

Regards,
Alan.