SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:14:15 -0600
Alan Bartlett wrote:
> 2010/1/12 Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>:
>>> i believe all packages from 'elrepo' are kernel independent.
>>>
>>> i have 2 packages from them that have gone thru 3 kernel updates
>>> and are working just fine like day they were first installed.
>> Yes, all kmod packages from ELRepo are kernel independent and should
>> survive kernel updates quietly. :)
>
> To expand upon Akemi's comment regarding kmod packages from ELRepo --
>
> All kmod packages are built to be kernel independent, kABI tracking
> for all the released RHEL 5 kernels (unless otherwise stated). Hence
> ELRepo kmod packages are appropriate for all RHEL 5 based derivatives,
> i.e. Scientific Linux 5 and CentOS 5, as long as their kernels do not
> deviate from the ABI published by TUV.
>
> A brief note about ELRepo, for users of Scientific Linux. ELRepo is
> entirely independent of (and is not endorsed by) Red Hat and the
> CentOS project. It is, however, acknowledged by both and there is a
> communication / co-operation channel to the relevant kernel
> engineering team at Red Hat. The ELRepo admin team have significant
> experience with RHEL, Scientific Linux and CentOS.
>
> Alan.

Hi Alan,
Thank you for explanation.  I have to admit that I hadn't looked at
ELRepo before today, although I've heard of it.  It looks very useful
for people who need drivers.
A couple of questions
I see you have both nvidia-x11-drv as well as kmod-nvidia.  Are these
independant, or do you have to have both installed?

I am somewhat new to kABI kernel modules.  I know the theory, but not
much else.
In your experience with RHEL5, how often has RedHat broken or modified
the ABI's, requiring you to update your kmod package?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group