SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:37:44 +0000
Andrew Stallard wrote:

> Thank You for Your help. So far the mediacheck feature isn't telling me
> anything.

it should at least tell you that the media checks ok.

<snip>
> Should I move the images to a directory that the installation software
> sees, or perhaps download them to my Linux OS and see if the installation
> software will see them there. Even if this is successful in locating the
> image files, will it work? Has anybody done anything like this?

i have never had problems you are running into, nor have i tried to install
from images.

you could try moving images to a higher directory level, ie, c:\images\.

you can also boot linux, copy them to a linux partition, again at a high level
directory, ie, /images/.  run checksum to be sure you have a good copy.

if i was having these problems, i would do both. then if one fails, other is
already waiting.

main of problem is why is installation not see your cd drive.

how old of a system are you using?

also, being that you have a linux installation, have you tried burning cds
under linux instead of using ms os to burn them? it is possible that burner
program under ms is not burning you a prober cd, even tho you can boot from
it.

to check this, under linux, burn 1st cd and run an install from it. then boot
it to see if it install sees it. if it does, you have a choice, continue with
install to see if other cd's are seen, or <ctrl+alt+delete> to end install
and reboot linux and burn other cd's.

> Finally, in addition to the eight CD's downloaded, is there another
> Scientific Linux CD that I am missing, and hence, what the installer is
> asking for?

you would be told if it is an incorrect cd.

perseverance.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.