SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2010

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:43:53 +1100
Hi Fernando,

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm really tired of wasting cd's and dvd's so I decided to use the boot.iso
>
> (ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/54/x86_64/images/boot.iso)
to install my server. But when I filled up the two fields "ftp server" and
"directory" (or something like that, I don't remember exactly), I got an
error. Looking in the 2nd terminal (Alt+F2) I realized that there was an error
resolving the name ftp.scientificlinux.org. I replace the server name by the
server IP address ($host ftp.scientificlinux.org) and everything is working.

> Isn't that a bug?? Anybody use/care about network installation???

I haven't used a CD/DVD installation system to install Linux for many years,
all I use is a network/kickstart installation. Such installations are fast,
easily changeable, "human-proof" (you get the exact install base each and
every time), and easy to maintain.

In the early days I invested about 4-5 months of my spare time in scripting
production builds of my environments (over 5,500 lines of code) and ever since
I've only been tweaking those scripts for newer releases and builds.

You may notice after you perform a CD/DVD install you end up having a file in
the root home directory called "anaconda-ks.cfg" which can be used to
kickstart the same build again.

I would suggest if you're going to perform a lot of Linux builds you don't
bother with CD's/DVD's and just spend some time learning how to do network
installs and use them from then on. You won't regret it.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------